Thursday, October 15, 2009

Just Finished: Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

This is the sexiest book ever written.  Ever.

I can't even think of where to begin. Glamour simply oozes from every page. 

I was given a copy of this book in a Birthday Basket by one of my closest friends; she hadn't read it, but the basket had a pink theme, so she added it last minute when she saw it matched the soap and bunny slippers.  The book has been sitting on my bookshelf for about a year, and I finally cracked it open a few weeks ago.

I am not one to go GAGA over Chick Lit (in fact, I try to make a point NOT to read it), but Valley of the Dolls is to the 60's what Sex and the City is to my generation.

The story chronicles three young women, making their start in New York City just after World War II: Anne, a native New Englander breaking out on her own; Neely, a vaudeville actress trying to make it on Broadway; and Jennifer, a model turned actress.  These women become fast friends, and the book follows their own separate ascents to stardom. 

As usual, I don't want to give too much away.  But this book is easily one of the best I have read all year.  Go out and get yourself a copy.

This book is a literary Chocolate Truffle. So decadent, a totally calorie-ridden guilty pleasure.

TITLE: Valley of the Dolls
AUTHOR: Jacqueline Susann
Copyright: 1966

No comments:

Post a Comment