Monday, January 17, 2011

Just Finished: Hawaii by James Michener

Hawaii... For as long as I can remember, my best dreams are the ones that had me landing on one of the islands, and heading straight for the sandy beaches, the beautiful water and the warmth of the sun.  When we were deciding our honeymoon location, there was no doubt where I wanted to go, and was thrilled when Jason booked a condo at Ka'anapali Beach on Maui.   When our plane touched down at Kahului Airport, it was like we were landing on another planet.  I know I'm doing nothing but holding you hostage and giving you a verbal slide show, so I'll spare you the rest.  But we loved our little bit of paradise, and even though we are glad to be back at home with friends and family, it's hard not to daydream and wish for every day to feel like Hawaii.
Lahaina Harbor at Sunset

Four months later, on the cold and miserable weekend leading up to Thanksgiving, I was feeling those winter blues coming on full force. I was wandering through Borders with a steamy latte, trying to warm up, when a single word, bold and white, jumped out from the shelves: HAWAII.   

The novel itself is sizable, and is divided into five books, but it's the second book, "From the Sun Swept Lagoon", where the action truly begins. A power struggle between the King and the High Priest divides the people of ancient Bora Bora, and the King and his brother lead a group of people by boat  to the fabled islands beneath the Seven Little Eyes to begin anew. They bring with them only the Gods who don't require a blood sacrifice, and you guessed it, these people became the first inhabitants of  Hawaii.

The next book, "From the Farm of Bitterness", flashes forward to the early 1800's, when a group of missionaries from Yale Divinity School journey to Hawaii to civilize the "heathens".  Aboard their ship, the Thetis, the missionaries and their wives find an eager leader in Abner Hale, a pious, self righteous man that you'd love to smack across the chops, a total Dwight Schrute. Abner's beautiful wife, Jerusha, comes from a more secular family, and while Abner is busy trying to protect and guide her gentle soul, Jerusha tries to soften the brimstone and fire of his message, to redeem him with his fellow men.  Ultimately, the Hales, along with the Hoxworth, Whipple, and Janders families that begin a dynasty in Hawaii that lasts several generations.

The fourth and fifth books chronicle not only the leading families descended from the missionaries, but the Kee family, from China, and the Sakagawa family, from Japan.  Michener's guide to Hawaiian history through the eyes of his characters is stunning, and his attention to detail and phenomenal storytelling make this a must read. This book was published in the obviously pre-internet 1959, so Michener must have spent years researching Hawaii, poring over books and articles, in museums, libraries and archives.

This wasn't my first rodeo with James Michener.  In high school, I picked up Alaska at the used book store near my house (my hometown is in the sticks, I have no idea how this place is still in business!), but Hawaii is a much grander epic.  I can't wait to get back to Maui- hmmm.... I think a trip to Hawaii may be in my future... paying bills with the tax return is no fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment